Monday, December 20, 2010

New Index Returns Astound Wall Street

(from Dan Solin's Huffington Post blog, 12/7/2010 - click here for the original post)

It's hard to be modest about this achievement, but I am going to try.

In January, 2010, I created the Solin Random Stock Index (SRSI). For those skeptics who want to verify this claim, please see this blog I wrote at the time.

I wish I could report that my index was a complex algorithm, but it was really very simple. I just took the spelling of my last name, and punched each letter into a quote engine. I selected the first two stocks (listed on a U.S. stock exchange) that appeared for each letter. Here's the list of ten stocks that comprised the SRSI:

1. Sprint Nextel (S)
2. Sirius XM Radio (SIRI)
3. Realty Income (O)
4. Oracle (ORCL)
5. Loews (L)
6. Las Vegas Sands (LVS)
7. Intel (INTC)
8. International Business Machines (IBM)
9. Netsuite (N)
10. Nvidia (NVDA)

Now that we are coming to the end of the year, I thought this would be a good time to see how the stocks in my index have performed. I know my competitors are busy getting the performance data of their funds together so they can show how well they did. Morningstar will be analyzing this information in order to figure out which funds get the highest "star" ratings.
Investors rely on performance history. High performing funds can expect an influx of revenues. More revenues means more fees. It's a high stakes game. I want a piece of it.

So, how did the SRSI do from January, 2010 through November, 2010? Hold on to your hat. It's up an astounding 45.14%! No kidding.

The S&P 500 is only up 5.87%.

Let's put this stellar performance in perspective so you can really appreciate it. In an article published February 24, 2010, US News recommended its top mutual funds for 2010. It's methodology was impressive. It relied on "some of the brightest minds conducting investing analysis" and used ratings from Morningstar, Lipper, Zacks, TheStreet.com and Standard & Poor's.

Hard to see how you could miss if you followed these recommendations.

Let's compare some of these top funds with the SRSI. The performance data is as of October 31, 2010.

The Yackman Fund (YACKX) is up 9.07%. It was the top ranked Large Value Fund;
The FMI Large Cap Fund (FMIHX) is up 5.15% It was the top ranked Large Blend Fund;
The Parnassus Workplace fund (PARWX) was up 8.35%. It was the top ranked Large Growth Fund.

The SRSI clobbered the returns of all these top rated funds. I didn't have access to any of the "brightest minds" who do sophisticated analysis and I don't even have a subscription to any of these ratings services.

So what can I expect next? I assume invitations from the cable financial shows so that I can educate investors on how I did it. Maybe all those impressive ratings services will start to follow the SRSI. If I was set up to receive funds, I assume I would have to brace for a massive influx. I would wear "back office problems" as a badge of honor.

My real goal is to win Morningstar's Fund Manager of Year award. Bruce Berkowitz was the pick for U.S. stock-fund manager in 2009 for his stellar performance running Fairholme Fund (FAIRX). His fund has $10 billion in assets. Mr. Berkowitz is a highly regarded stock picker, holding only about 20 stocks. The SRSI holds 10 stocks, so we have the over-concentration thing in common.

Fairholme is only up 12.96%. Clearly, my stock picking skills are vastly superior. It should be no contest for 2010. I'm a shoo-in.

I'll still have time to write this blog. I really enjoy it. But I suspect that being known as a "stock picking guru" will have its perks as well.

Sorry, I have to run now. The phone is ringing. I'm hoping it's Jim Cramer. Maybe he will anoint me as "one of the great ones in this business", an accolade he is reported to have bestowed on

Lenny Dykstra, the ball player turned stock picker.

Dykstra filed for bankruptcy in July, 2009.

I'm no Lenny Dykstra.

The views set forth in this blog are the opinions of the author alone and may not represent the views of any firm or entity with whom he is affiliated. The data, information, and content on this blog are for information, education, and non-commercial purposes only. Returns from index funds do not represent the performance of any investment advisory firm. The information on this blog does not involve the rendering of personalized investment advice and is limited to the dissemination of opinions on investing. No reader should construe these opinions as an offer of advisory services. Readers who require investment advice should retain the services of a competent investment professional. The information on this blog is not an offer to buy or sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy or sell any securities or class of securities mentioned herein. Furthermore, the information on this blog should not be construed as an offer of advisory services. Please note that the author does not recommend specific securities nor is he responsible for comments made by persons posting on this blog.

1 comment: